Monday, July 29, 2013

Barbecue Salmon with Pineapple Salsa

Believe it or not, I wasn't always this much of a foodie. 
I would actually have considered myself to be quite a picky eater.
 
I think it comes from the years I spent making my own dinners as a kid. 
My mom is a single parent, and she ended up working a second shift job. 
Once I was old enough to stay home alone, well, that's what I did. 
I wasn't allowed to use our gas stove unsupervised, so I improvised. 
Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle is just as good out of the microwave, and my older and wiser cousin taught me how to make a passable grilled cheese using the toaster and microwave. 
 
I was never very adventurous.  I knew what I liked, and come hell or high water, that's what I wanted.
 
I'm also an only child.
 
Years later, I would work at one of the fine dining-est restaurants that has yet come to this little town.  Suddenly, a whole culinary world was opened up to me.  The better I knew the menu, and the ingredients, the better tips I would make, and I got an employee discount. 
Eating there was a win/win/win. 
One of my favorite dishes was barbecue salmon and, because the place has since closed,
here is my attempt to recreate it.
Barbecue Salmon with Pineapple Salsa

Printable Recipe

You'll Need...
2 (6 ounce) salmon filets (one per person)

For the sauce -
1 teaspoon prepared barbecue sauce (my Blueberry BBQ perhaps?)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon chipotle salsa
1 teaspoon honey

For the salsa -
2 tablespoons pineapple, diced
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon green poblano pepper, minced
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lime

Method...
For the sauce -
Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together.  This sauce can be made in any quantity, just be sure to use equal parts.

For the salsa -
Dice pineapple and bell pepper, mince poblano, zest and juice lime.  Combine in small bowl and mix.  I would recommend letting this sit, covered, in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.

Preheat your oven to 400°F.  Season salmon as desired with salt and pepper and place filet(s) skin side down on a baking sheet.  Bake for 6-8 minutes, then brush on barbecue sauce and return to oven for 4 to 5 minutes.  Brush with additional barbecue sauce and return to oven for 4 to 5 minutes more, or until salmon is firm and flakes easily with a fork.  Top with salsa as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...