Sunday, June 16, 2013

I have a summer birthday so I never got to have a good party at school

Last weekend was my birthday, and the celebrations totally threw me off my new blog habit of baking on Saturdays. 

When I was in elementary school, my birthday was the last day of school (or the beginning of summer break), so it wasn't often that I got to bring in a birthday treat for the class.  AND, this was back in the good old '90s, when you still could bring in treats, could eat peanut butter for lunch, and still had a few years before you had to start learning Geometry. Truly a simpler time.

Now I work at a bank.

There are no summer vacations in banking.

And I still have to bring in my own birthday treats.  But now everyone is responsible enough to know if they're allergic to one of the ingredients and polite enough to only take one.  Most of the time.

For this birthday, the big 2-7, not a landmark by any stretch of the imagination, I took Friday AND Monday off work.  A use it or lose it vacation policy can be a huge motivator.

On Friday,  I went shopping with my mom.  She didn't know what to get me, so she just let me pick out some things for myself.  We went to a kitchen outlet (what?!), and, after much deliberation, chose several new kitchen utensils.

Two pairs of tongs with silicone grabbies.  (Is there a technical term for that?)

A set of green silicone spatulas.

A sifter.
Via Sears.com

I had an excellent night out on Friday with my husband and friends, and the next day, he showered me in even more gadgetry with... A GARLIC PRESS!
Via Kitchenwaredirect.com
Finally!
Also, Good Eats:  The Early Years, Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls and It Looked Different on the Model.  Nerd girls get books, what can I say?

We also went to the zoo, which was excellent.  For your information, there were lots of couples sans children there to enjoy a day of exotic animals, so there's no need to feel awkward.

We paid $1 for a leaf of lettuce, and I waited patiently among the 5 year old kids to feed a giraffe. 
 We also saw this ostrich,
this intense tortoise,
this haughty llama, who would neither look at nor stand anywhere near us,
these zebras,
and this (fake) owl, among many other animals.
 
All in all, I had a very enjoyable birthday weekend.  Friends, family, and a trip to the zoo, what more could a girl ask for?
 

The bad news?  I still haven't taken a birthday treat to work, and people are starting to get upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...